Band of sisters

Sunday, April 30, 2006

So not a sewer

When it comes to knitting, for me it is most definitely about the process of knitting rather than producing a finished item. Since finishing the pieces for the Clover Lace Wrap (from SnB Nation book) in about November, I have managed to do two seams - attaching each of the two sleeves to the back. I've now finished all the pieces for my niece's cardigan except for the neckband. However, to do the neckband, I need to attach the sleeves, fronts, back and the button bands so I can pick up all the stitches. Despite the tentative deadline of her birthday having passed this week, all I have managed is to attach one sleeve.

I hate sewing seams, but I do like trying new techniques, thus all the aran cable knits, intarsia, stuffed toys and now beaded knits that I have done . Thus I can sympathise with the Yarn magazine reader who writes to complain about the lack of complexity of the patterns in the magazine. I have to agree that none of the patterns in the issues so far have inspired me to want to subscribe to the magazine. The editor defends the magazine by saying it is about the yarn, which is a valid point, but to me, no matter what the yarn I still want something where I have to put some thought into the stitches that I am making. Knitting is something that distracts me from all the convoluted life stuff fluttering around my brain and without an alternative focus I the soothing stuff doesn't work. (Of course in theory, the complexity of seaming should also be distracting, but it just isn't the same!)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Great blog! I'm also a 'non-sewer-uppera'. I'll knit in the round, do a 3 needle bind off, ANYTHING to avoid sewing up! Good Luck ;)

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Meg said…

    Well I'm glad your post was about seaming and not waste disposal. When I read the title I thought it was going to be about the latter. What stitch do you use for seaming? I have found that once I got the hang of mattress stitch, seaming didn't bother me so much...

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    I find the opposite. For me knitting is my opportunity not to have to think! Life is just too complicated to add more complication to it...give me garter stitch - hehe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home